Virtual Ship's Log from Captain Hammer

'Cause I don't have enough to do already

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Goergetown Trip, Day 1

Sandwiched between our CD release party on Thursday Jan 20th and a live radio performance (KVRX Local Live) Sunday, Jan 23rd, was my solo trip to Lake Georgetown. I had been working a lot on the sailing rig,
and accumulating some very good luck points for several days (making green lights I never make, "check engine" light on my dash turned off by itself, etc.). I was feeling good about the trip, even though I got
to the park a little late after finishing the hem and grommet installation on the sail. The gentleman at the park gate was friendly, and said i could have the run of the place, since I was the only overnight guest scheduled to be there. He gave me a map and pointed out a few good camping spots around the lake- he couldn't believe he had bought a canoe recently that was EXACTLY like mine (I thought I had seen one at an RV just
before the gate area. He confirmed it was his, and remarked he had never seen another like it until now). I was set with a map, a GPS, and a plan. I drove immediately to the boat launch. That's when it
happened.
The lazy end of the tie-down strap had worked itself loose during the drive to the park, but hadn't caused any problems until I started driving down the ramp. "CRUNCH". I had no idea what just happened. I got out to look, and realized I had driven over that loose end of the tie down, cinching down the canoe with such force that it bent the frame (and dented the roof of my car). I felt sick to my stomach. "All of this work and planning and dreaming, and now this freak accident!".
I went ahead and got it off the car and into the water to inspect it. The hull was in tact, the bottom was straight, but one of the gunwales was bent significantly. It was ugly, but it didn't look like it'd affect the performance. It did, however, affect how my rig fit. Then I had one of those moments like in the movies where the protagonist
looks up from what he's doing and into the distance, the camera zooms in fast on his epiphanous expression, and a film collage of previous bits of the movie starts to tell the story of what has just occurred
to him. You see, I hadn't been collecting good luck signs all week, I had been hemorrhaging good luck, spilling it onto trivial things. There was none left for my trip. Then I shuddered, mind reeling from the realization that just 5 minutes prior my canoe had glimpsed her own doppelganger. This was no freak accident. This is how the doppelganger works.
Stay tuned for pics, video, and the next installment of the Georgetown trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment