Virtual Ship's Log from Captain Hammer

'Cause I don't have enough to do already

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Georgetown Trip Day 1.5



Ok- last we left off our trusty canoe had had a run in with a nasty harbinger of death. But, she was now floating gently (and without leaking) on the calm (but breezy) winter afternoon waters of Lake Georgetown. The sail rig was fitting well enough to try out. I paddled to a small cove and began running the lines, tying on the paddle/rudder to the stern, and zip-tying the sail to the mast and boom. I didn't feel safe in that temperature water (and with %50 of all the camping gear I own on board) going anywhere but downwind. And I did go. I raised the sail cautiously 1/3 up the mast, then 2/3 up, and caught a nice breeze that took me effortlessly about a mile upstream. The steering worked well, and tracking didn't seem to be a problem. The sun was going down quickly, though, and i figured I had a whole day ahead of me to test it more. So I stopped at a tree in the water, about 10 feet from the shore, and moored my keel to it. I used my coffee-can charcoal stove to cook some tortillas and sausages on the boat, and it worked well. The small plywood bottom also proved to be fairly comfortable as I rolled out my sleeping bag. My quarters were pretty cramped, though. A Dale's Pale Ale later and I was fast asleep.

1 comment: