Virtual Ship's Log from Captain Hammer

'Cause I don't have enough to do already

Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Nice Time to Unbend

Well, using the car jack to unbend the canoe was a success. That's not to say it's back to new, but it is a LOT better, and I'm convinced that with a little shifting of the braces and monkeying around I can get her shipshape. I'm already feeling better about it, and it proves the method works.
Here is the nasty kink:

Two 2x4's were placed on either side of the bent gunwale with 2 long 18in pieces of threaded rod, washers, and nuts holding them together.
The car jack was placed between the outward side of the bend and the outer 2x4. I should have put a scrap of wood between the business end of the jack and the gunwale to prevent any marring. I will next time, but no big deal.

I started cranking, and viola! Here is a pic of the canoe in it's usual "dry docked" storage position. From the bottom you can still see that top left part of the canoe (the part I just bent back) is still a little off, but I should be able to do some more jack bending and get it right.

Now the question is: will the gunwale fail easier now that it has been bent? With chromoly steel tubing used in backyard aircraft, if it's bent not too bad and then bent back into place it is actually work-hardened. After that, though, and bend will make it too brittle.
Let's hope I don't bend it again in any event.

No comments:

Post a Comment