Virtual Ship's Log from Captain Hammer

'Cause I don't have enough to do already

Monday, February 28, 2011

Canoe Rig by Todd Bradshaw



This book is changing my life! Maybe overstated, but this book has the answers to so many of my questions about my rig: What's a good sail area to shoot for? What's the best sail plan for upwind performance? How much leeboard surface should I have in the water? etc. Of course he champions experimentation, but for a guy like me whose time to work on this stuff is limited, it gives very good starting points. I wish I had been able to get a hold of this book before making my first rig, but it seems my current plan is on the money as far as being generally well performing (or, should be, anyways). It's been informative and affirming. I do think the author and I differ on aesthetic principles and on how much of a role they should play in my boat, but there's no denying his designs are beautiful.
It is available on amazon.com, of course: http://www.amazon.com/Canoe-Rig-Essence-Sailpower-Traditional/dp/0937822574/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1298905135&sr=8-10 . Or if your local library is registered with the Inter-Library Loan system, you can sign up to get it after I'm done with it.
Next boat piece to design: mast thwart for my "backwards" rig for solo sailing and a foot controlled rudder. The weather here is getting nice quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment